The CSMC Summer Research Program for undergraduates is a 9 week summer research program in sustainable materials science. Research positions are available in Chemistry, Physics, and Engineering. At the start of the summer, students attend a one week tutorial called the Sustainable Materials Research Training (SMaRT) Camp at the University of Oregon. After SMaRT Camp, students perform cutting edge research at one of the CSMC host labs.
All students are provided a $4000.00 stipend. Travel expenses and a housing stipend are provided based on need and merit.
- Fill out and submit the application form
- Contact two references and have them fill out the reference form
- Application deadline: February 28th - applications will not be accepted after this date
- Mail a copy of your official or unofficial transcript to:
Director of Outreach and Education
Center for Sustainable Materials Chemistry
Materials Science Institute
University of Oregon
1252 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1252
The program begins with a one week tutorial session at the University of Oregon (UO). SMaRT Camp 2015 will be from June 15th to June 20th, 2015. During SMaRT camp, students are introduced to research techniques and trained in the use of the cutting edge instrumentation at UO's Lorey L. Lokey Lab. Non-UO students are provided room and board during SMaRT camp. UO students are provided lunch and snacks.
Research at Host Labs
Research at host labs starts on June 22rd, 2015 and continues until August 14th, 2015. Click on the link below for more information about the research projects that are available at the host labs. Applicants will be asked to choose their top two choices during the application process. The selection committee does its best to place students with one of their choices, but there is no guarantee.
On August 13th, 2015 students with host labs in Oregon will meet at Oregon State University (OSU) to present the results of their work. This will include a 15 to 20 minute power point presentation and a poster session. Students whose host labs are not in Oregon will join in via video link (GoTo Meeting), that CSMC uses to conduct meetings.
- College undergraduate students of domestic institutions who are US citizens or permanent residents are eligible to apply
- Permanent residents are defined as: "Resident aliens who are not citizens of the United States and who have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (and who hold alien registration receipt cards - Form I551/155.)"
- Priority will be given to students who are rising seniors
|September 10th, 2014||Application page goes live|
|February 28th, 2015||Application deadline|
|March 8th, 2015||Selection committee sends out selection notices|
|March 15th, 2015||Deadline for students to accept offer|
|June 14th, 2015||Non-UO students travel to UO, Pizza dinner at Pegasus Pizza|
|June 15th, 2015||SMaRT Camp begins|
|June 21st, 2015||SMaRT Camp ends, Students travel to host labs|
|June 23nd, 2014||Research at Host Labs begins|
|August 13th, 2015||Research at Host Labs ends|
|August 13th, 2015||Presentations and poster session at OSU for Oregon students, non-Oregon students join via Video link|
|August 15th, 2015||Students travel home|