We offer a 10-week undergraduate summer research program from June - August. We start the program off with a one-week class, the Sustainable Materials Research Training (SMaRT) Camp. During SMaRT Camp we provide lecture based course on lab safety, the CSMC research, the scientific method and innovation / professional development training. We've added the innovation training and professional development workshops this year to give undergraduates an integrated experiential opportunity.
After the week-one Camp, the teams travel to one of the three host sites to conduct research. Three teams of four students will work with faculty, graduate student and postdoctoral mentors on team-based projects. More information about the research projects that are available at the link for the host labs. Applicants will be asked to choose their top two choices during the application process. The selection committee does its best to place students with one of their choices, but there is no guarantee you will get your first choice.
At the end of the summer, the students with host labs in Oregon meet at Oregon State University (OSU) to present the results of their work. This will include a 15 to 20 minute power point presentation and a poster session. Students whose host labs are not in Oregon can join in via video link (GoTo Meeting) or in person.
All students are provided a $4000.00 stipend. Travel expenses and a housing stipend are provided based on need and merit and subject to availability of funds.
- Fill out and submit the application form
- Contact two references and have them fill out the reference form
- First call for application deadline: 1 December 2015, 5pm
- Mail a copy of your official or unofficial transcript to:
OSU - Chemistry
153 Gilbert Hall
Corvallis, OR 97331
More information on the Research at Host Labs
- College undergraduate students of domestic institutions who are US citizens or permanent residents are eligible to apply
- Permanent residents are defined as: "Resident aliens who are not citizens of the United States and who have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (and who hold alien registration receipt cards - Form I551/155.)"
- Priority will be given to students who are rising seniors
|20 November 2015||Application process is posted|
|01 December 2015||Applicants reviewed and accepted on a continuous basis until positions are filled|
|01 February 2016||Application deadline|
|01 March 2016||Deadline for students to accept offer|
|15 June 2016||SMaRT Camp kickoff|
|June - August 2016||Research at one of three sites|
|10 August 2016||Presentations and poster session at OSU for Oregon students, non-Oregon students join via Video link|