Department of Physics, Oregon State University
Department of Chemistry, University of Oregon
BS, Southwestern Oklahoma State University, 1979
PhD, Northwestern University, 1984
Postdoctoral Fellow, Cornell University, 1984 - 85
Honors and Awards
Exxon Solid-State Chemistry Award, 1988
Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellow, 1990
T.T. Sugihara Young Faculty Research Award, 1994
F.A. Gilfillan Award, 2001
OSU Researcher of the Year Award, 2003
SWOSU Alumni Fellow, 2005
Our research is directed to the synthesis and study of inorganic molecules and materials that will enable next-generation electronic and energy devices. We have discovered and developed unique water-based chemistries for the deposition of very high-quality films. In the Center for Sustainable Materials Chemistry, we have used these approaches to demonstrate leading results in ultra small-scale dense nanopatterning and tunneling electronic devices. We are examining the fundamental connections between the water-based chemistries and function of thin films and unique nanostructures in a variety of formats.
CSMC Research Thrusts
Dielectrics and Semiconductors (lead)
Early Transition Metal Clusters & Films
Understanding Strucutral Evolution/Interdiffusion
Recent Center Publications
- Wang, W.; Liu, W.; Chang, I-Y.; Wills, L.A.; Zakharov, L.N.; Boettcher, S.W.; Cheong, P.H.-Y.; Fang, C.; Keszler, D.A. Electrolytic synthesis of aqueous aluminum nanoclusters and in situ characterization by femtosecond Raman spectroscopy & computations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2013, 110 (46), 18397-18401.
- Anderson, M. D.; Heideman, C. L.; Lin, Q.; Smeller, M.; Kokenyesi, R.; Herzing, A. A.; Anderson, I. M.; Keszler, D. A.; Zschack, P.; Johnson, D. C., Size-Dependent Structural Distortions in One-Dimensional Nanostructures. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 2013, 52, 1982-1985.
- Jiang, K.; Meyers, S. T.; Anderson, M. D.; Johnson, D. C.; Keszler, D. A., Functional Ultrathin Films and Nanolaminates from Aqueous Solutions. Chemistry of Materials 2013, 25, 210-214.
- Wager, J. F.; Yeh, B.; Hoffman, R. L.; Keszler, D. A., An amorphous oxide semiconductor thin-film transistor route to oxide electronics. Current Opinion in Solid State and Materials Science 2013.
- Wang, W.; Chang, I. Y.; Zakharov, L.; Cheong, P. H.-Y.; Keszler, D. A., [Sc2(μ-OH)2(H2O)6(NO3)2](NO3)2: Aqueous Synthesis and Characterization. Inorganic Chemistry 2013, 52, 1807-1811.
- "Breakthrough in study of aluminum should yield new technological advances" OSU Today: October 2013
- "Behind the Screens" Terra Magazine: September 2012.
153 Gilbert Hall, Corvallis, OR 97331