BA, University of the Pacific, 1976
MS, UC Davis, 1980
PhD, Pennsylvania State University, 1985
Honors and Awards
Herbert A. Young Society Dean's Fellow, 2012-2015
Recipient of the Inaugural Werner Stumm Medal for Technical Innovation, 2010
Science is close to being able to calculate reaction trajectories in simple aqueous systems. What is missing are experimental data on nanometer-size aqueous clusters that are sufficiently well constrained to provide test cases. Our work on polyoxoniobates is centered around oxygen activation, as polyoxometallates serve both as models for mineral oxide surfaces.
CSMC Research Thrusts
Early Transition Metal Clusters & Films
Solution Characterization (M13 Clusters)
Recent Center Publications
- Hanken, B.E.; Asta, M.; Casey, W.H. Computational characterization of the internal bonding and solvation structure for [Nb10O28]aq6−. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 2013.
- Son, J.-H.; Casey, W. H., A decatungstate-type polyoxoniobate with centered manganese: [H2MnIVNb10O32]8- as a soluble tetramethylammonium salt. Dalton Transactions 2013, 42, 13339-13342.
- Son, J.-H.; Ohlin, C. A.; Johnson, R. L.; Yu, P.; Casey, W. H., A Soluble Phosphorus-Centered Keggin Polyoxoniobate with Bicapping Vanadyl Groups. Chemistry – A European Journal 2013, 19, 5191-5197.
- Son, J.-H.; Ohlin, C. A.; Larson, E. C.; Yu, P.; Casey, W. H., Synthesis and Characterization of a Soluble Vanadium-Containing Keggin Polyoxoniobate by ESI-MS and 51V NMR: (TMA)9[V3Nb12O42]·18H2O. European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry 2013, 1748-1753.
- Son, J. H.; Ohlin, C. A.; Casey, W. H., Highly soluble iron- and nickel-substituted decaniobates with tetramethylammonium countercations. Dalton Transactions 2013, 42, 7529-7533.